Famous African Americans in History
This matching quiz will enable your child to demonstrate his knowledge of important facts about some iconic African Americans. Some figures are historical and some are living today, and all of them have helped define the industries in which they made their achievements. Your child will hone his research and reading comprehension skills while learning a little cultural history.
What You Need:
- Online resources about African Americans
- Printed copy of this quiz and the answer key (download here)
What You Do:
- Encourage your child to peruse some online resources about African American history.
- Challenge him to find the correct answer to each matching quiz and write the corresponding letter in the blank next to each sentence. He should do this without peeking at the answer key and see how many he gets right.
- At any time that your child isn’t sure of the correct answer, the easiest thing for him to do is use the computer to either conduct a query on a search engine or to refer to a book source.
- Once he is done, let your child correct his work and see how well he did. Keep in mind that it is more important for your child go through the learning process of answering these questions and researching information independently than to obtain a perfect score on the quiz.
- Just for fun, ask your child who, out of all the individuals spotlighted in this quiz, is his favorite—with whom is he most fascinated, to whom can he relate the most. Encourage him to find additional online resources so that he can learn a little bit more about the person.
Create your own matching quiz tailored to suit your child’s learning needs or appeal to his interests. For example, if your child is a sports fanatic, create a quiz that is focused on famous African American athletes. Or, if your child is studying the Civil Rights Movement and could use a little extra practice at home, then fashion your quiz accordingly.