Learning to divide is a math skill that will not only come in handy during math class, it'll be useful later on in life when baking or dividing up the bill. Help her get a jump on division early with this engaging math game!
What You Need:
- Construction paper
- Black marker
What You Do:
- Encourage your child to fold the sheet of construction paper in half.
- Then, using the black marker, have her draw nine lines on the front of the folded over paper, separating it into 10 different sections.
- Have your child use the scissors to carefully cut along the lines she made in the previous step. These will be the game cards.
- Then, using the black marker, have her write the numbers 10-100, by tens, on the front of every card (one number per card). For example, on the first card you write 10, on the next card, write 20, and write 30 on the one after that. Keep making cards until you reach 100.
- Then, take over duties by opening each card. On the inside, write the answer by dividing the number on the outside by two. For instance, on the inside of the 10 card, write five. On the inside of the 30 card, write 15.
- Next, have your child shuffle the cards together.
- To start playing, she should flip over the top card of the deck.
- Then, she has 5 seconds to divide the number on the front of the card by two.
- Once she guesses, she should open the card and see if she got the answer right.
- If she's correct, let her set the card to the side.
- To win, she must successfully make her way through each and every card.