Is your child tired of the same old cheeseburgers for dinner? Mix things up by making this simple and easy cheeseburger pie that the whole family will love! Not only will he explore cooking techniques, he’ll hone his fine motor skills.
What You Need:
- 1 small onion
- 1 lb lean hamburger
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 small carrot
- Pinch of salt
- Dash of pepper
- Medium sauté pan
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- ½ cup Bisquick
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- Chef’s knife
- Cheese grater
- Measuring cups
- Mixing bowl
- 9-inch pie dish
What You Do:
- Help your child wash and chop the celery and carrot into small chunks along with the onion. Using a chef’s knife is an essential kitchen skill, but should be supervised by an adult!
- Now he can add the carrot, celery, onion, and lean hamburger into a medium sized sauté pan and simmer over medium heat.
- Once the meat has started to brown, invite your child to add the salt and pepper. Give everything another stir, and then remove from the heat.
- In another bowl, your child can begin mixing the Bisquick, eggs, and milk whisking until everything is nice and smooth.
- Offer your child the cheese grater and invite her to shred enough cheese to fill one cup.
- Add the cheese to the batter and preheat the oven to 400 F. Now your child can put the hamburger mixture in the bottom of the pie pan and cover with the cheese-filled batter.
- Pop the cheeseburger pie in the oven and bake for 30 mintues.
- Once the top is golden brown and the middle doesn’t jiggle, invite your child to carefully remove the cheeseburger pie from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Sarah Lipoff has a K-12 Art Education degree and enjoys working with kids of all ages.