Your child can make a special family snack to enjoy during movie night by exploring different flavors of herbs and some fresh popped popcorn! Using dried herbs really packs a punch when creating flavor. Your child will learn more about her palate as well as how to make perfectly popped popcorn!
What You Need:
- 6 cups fresh popped popcorn (unpopped kernels, if following Step 1)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon parsley
- ¼ teaspoon dill
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- Wooden spoon
What You Do:
- Start by popping some fresh popcorn with your child. Invite her to measure about 1 cup of kernels and add it to a large stockpot with a drizzle of oil. She can shake the pot to evenly distribute the oil and then cover with a lid.
- Now she can put the pot over medium heat and stand by while the popcorn pops! When she doesn’t hear anymore popping, she can take the stockpot off the heat and get ready to make her herbed oil.
- Offer your child a small saucepan and some measuring spoons. She can measure and add the oil, basil, oregano, parsley, and dill to the saucepan.
- Invite her to bring the oil to a simmer over medium heat and then remove from the stove and add the salt and dash of pepper.
- Now she can drizzle the herbed oil over the popcorn in a big bowl and gently stir with a long handled wooden spoon.
- All that’s left is to put on everyone’s favorite movie and enjoy the herbed popcorn by the handful!