Create Any-Holiday Lacing Cards
Your child will boost her fine motor skills as she makes unique greeting cards to give away to family and friends. These cards are fun and easy to make, and they can be used for any holiday! Simply pick card designs and yarn colors that suit the targeted holiday, and start lacing!
What You Need:
- Assorted greeting cards for the targeted holiday
- Hole punch
- White glue
- Wax paper
What to Do:
- Have your child pick out the greeting cards she wants to use. Then, cut off the front flaps and punch holes along all four edges of each card.
- Show her how to use a ruler to measure and cut the yarn into strips about 18” in length.
- Help her make the ends of the yarn into “sewing needles” by pouring white glue on wax paper and rolling about 2” of one end of the yarn into the glue.
- Dry the yarn by laying it flat on another sheet of wax paper. Make sure that the glued end is lying straight and not kinked or curved.
- When dry, tie a piece of yarn with a “needle” to each card. Now the card is all done and ready to be laced up!
- Encourage your child to sew the yarn through the holes, making the card into a fun and original creation!
If your child wants to get creative, encourage her to make the entire card herself! Start off with a piece of cardstock cut to greeting-card size. Have her draw her own picture to represent the holiday, then make the rest of the card according to the instructions above. This is a great way to make her card into a unique and extra-special gift!