Here's a great two-player card game which will definitely engage your child while she practices multiplying integers. Learning how to multiply positive and negative whole numbers is an important skill that she'll be using outside of the classroom as often as she does while she’s in it. This challenge will have her finding the correct products in no time!
What You Do:
- Shuffle and deal the deck of cards face-down equally to both players. Explain that for the purposes of the game aces = 1.
- Tell them that each red card symbolizes a negative integer, and each black card symbolizes a positive integer.
- For round 1, ask both players to turn over a card at the same time and show it face up on the table. Whoever announces the the correct product, (answer), aloud first, wins both cards. If there’s a tie, both players can keep their cards.
- Players continue until one of them has all of the cards.
- Whoever has the most cards at the end of the game wins!
Here's a cheat sheet to remind players how integers work:
3 x 3 = 9
-3 x -3 = 9
3 x -3 = -9
-3 x 3 = -9