Oh Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells... Activity
Jingle all the way! It's that festive time of year again! Get your youngster into the holiday spirit by helping him make a jingle bell instrument. This activity will enhance your child's fine motor skills as he decorates the musical device, while the final product will improve his sense of rhythm. He’ll love ringing the bell and dancing to popular holiday songs such as "Jingle Bells," or even creating a holiday harmony of his own.
What You Need:
- Styrofoam cup
- Pipe cleaner
- Jingle bell (available at craft stores)
- Crayons (or other decorations such as stickers, stamps, and sequins)
What You Do:
- Turn the cup upside down and have your child decorate the cup with crayons and other desired decorations.
- Stick a pipe cleaner through the top of the jingle bell holes. Slide the bell to the middle of the pipe cleaner.
- Using the pencil, poke two holes in the bottom of the cup. Hold the pipe cleaner and jingle bell inside the cup and poke the pipe cleaner ends into the two holes. Pull them through and twist them together to form a handle for this bell cup. Now your child's holiday instrument is ready!
- Together sing “Jingle Bells” and other holiday songs. Your child will love ringing the bell to the beat of the music.
If you have a video camera handy, make sure to capture his performance on film! DVDs filled with precious moments such as these make great gifts for friends and relatives.
Tina Cho has been an elementary teacher for 11 years, mainly in the kindergarten classroom. She is currently a freelance writer.