Living Room Letterpress
Building a tabletop press is a fantastic way to work together with your teen on a challenging, hands-on project. With a little bit of planning and a day of fairly simple construction, you and your teen will build a long-lasting tabletop press, create your own print designs with linoleum blocks, and letterpress a series of unique prints. Use your creations to make personalized cards, stationary, and letters!
Note: As this project has many steps, it might be easier to read all the directions first and visualize or draw a picture of the finished product before starting.
To Build the Press:
What You Need:
- Four 12" x 12" sheets of ¾" plywood
- Six 4" x 12" sheets of ¾" plywood
- Five 8" x 12" sheets of ¾" plywood
- Four 16" lengths of 1/2" diameter all-thread
- 16 sets of nuts and washers to fit the all-thread
- One 9" press screw, diameter 11/16"
- Wood glue
- Drill with 1/2" and 11/16" bits
(All materials available at most hardware stores)