If you have a group of restless children, get them ready to race, addition style! This math racing game will have the kids enjoying the outdoors while strengthening their knowledge of important math concepts.
What You Do:
- Divide the players into two separate lines at one side of the designated running space.
- Create two piles of plastic eggs on the opposite side of the area of play.
- Give the two children in the front of both lines a bag with handles.
- Tell the kids that when you shout an addition math problem, it’s their cue to start running toward the eggs. Example: "3 plus 2!"
- Have the children run to the eggs and put the correct number of eggs in the bag to successfully "solve" the equation. Following the example in the previous step, they would place 5 eggs in the bag.
- As soon as they put the right number of eggs in the bag, they should race back to count out their eggs to see if they were correct.
- The player who races back first with the correct answer wins that round.
- Continue playing until each child has had at least two chances.
Variation: If you’re playing with younger children, call out a number instead of a math equation.