Race to simplify fractions in this fast-paced game! Simplifying fractions is an essential skill for every math student from fifth grade onward. Students need continual practice with simplification in order to successfully be able to add, subtract, multiply and divide fractions. Play this game again and again and work towards mastering this important concept!
What You Need:
- Deck of playing cards (with face cards removed)
- Even number of players
What You Do:
- Create a fraction bar sheet by drawing a line across a piece of paper.
- Set up the game so that the players face one another. For each pair of two players, you'll need to create a separate fraction game board.
- Shuffle the deck of cards.
- Distribute the deck evenly between the two players.
- Have the players place their decks face down in front of them.
- Players should begin by simultaneously turning over a card from their decks and place it on the fraction bar sheet. Each player should place one card above the fraction bar. The cards above the fraction bar represent the numerator.
- Then, players should place one card below the fraction bar. The card below the bar represents the denominator.
- There should be a card above the bar and a card below the bar, giving you four cards total.
- The first player to correctly simplify the fraction shown by the cards wins all four cards. If a tie results, split the cards evenly.
- If the fraction can't be simplified, each player should collect the card that the other player put down and position it at the bottom of his deck.
- Play continues until one player has accumulated all of the cards.
- Alternatively, you could set a time limit on the game. When time is up, the player with the most cards wins!