Design String-Wrapped Headbands Activity
Hold all that hair back during the hot summer by making a string-wrapped headband! Your child can make one for herself, and then more to share with friends and family!
What You Need:
- Plastic headband
- Various colors of string
- Hot glue gun
What You Do:
- Start by encouraging your child to go on a string hunt searching for all her favorite colors to use. This is a great activity to use up all those small random bits of string!
- Once she’s got a good pile of string, it’s time to get wrapping! Invite her to brainstorm how she would like to layout her string headband. Does she want to create a pattern or random areas of color?
- Now she can begin wrapping starting at one end. She can secure the string on the inside of the headband using a little bit of hot glue. Remember, hot glue guns are hot! Have an adult help.
- Encourage your child to continue wrapping until she comes to the end of the string, and then secure the end with hot glue, along with securing the next piece of string!
- Invite her to continue wrapping and securing strings until she has finished wrapping the entire headband! Now she has her own unique headband to wear or give as a gift to a friend!
Sarah Lipoff has a K-12 Art Education degree and enjoys working with kids of all ages.