Practice Math with Supermarket Centers
If you're looking for a way to get your child interested in math, here's an activity for you! Set up super-market centers in your own home to get your child thinking about important concepts such as monetary exchange and value. Your child will learn to handle money, make comparisons, and learn about differing values. Not only does this activity teach important math lessons but it also teaches important life lessons!
What You Need:
- Play money (such as Monopoly or LIFE money) or colored strips of paper
- Things to buy or things to do like stickers, gum, small toys, pencils, erasers, snacks, play a game, blow bubbles etc.
- 5-10 blankets or tablecloths to cover some surfaces in your home to be used as "supermarket centers"
- Calculator (to be used as a "cash register")
- Cashiers (friends or family members)
- Poster board
- Grocery bags