Valentine Butterfly Activity
Does your kindergartener know that a simple heart shape can make a beautiful butterfly? Introduce shapes to art projects with this fun Valentine-themed craft.
What You Need:
- Recycled paper roll
- Construction paper
- Pipe cleaner
- Small foam hearts
- Glue stick
- Glitter glue (optional)
What You Do:
- Help your child cover the recycled paper roll with construction paper. She'll probably need to use scissors to trim the paper to fit the roll.
- Have her secure the paper with the stapler or glue stick.
- Fold a sheet of construction paper in half and have her draw a large heart on one side of the folded paper.
- Let her use scissors to cut the heart out, leaving the folded edge uncut. When she unfolds the paper, she should have a complete heart -- and a complete set of butterfly wings!
- Have her glue the wings to the paper roll.
- Let your child decorate the wings with markers, hearts or glitter glue.
- Help her create a face for the butterfly with a marker.
- Have her cut a pipe cleaner in half.
- Let her staple each half to the top of the roll to create antennae.
- Show her how to curl the antennae by wrapping each pipe cleaner around a pencil.
- Have her glue two hearts on the top edges of the pipe cleaners to finish the antennae.