Create a Weather Mobile!
Do you have a budding meteorologist in the family? Treat her to this art activity inspired by the weather. Your child will combine natural materials, household items and basic art materials to create a hanging weather mobile. She'll practice science as she learns about the seasons, and gets a chance to practice her motor skills. The end result is a cool piece of art that you can hang anywhere in the house!
What You Need:
- 2 sturdy sticks
- Cotton balls
- Watercolor paint and brushes
- Hole punch
What You Do:
- Take a trip outdoors with your child and help her collect two sticks that are about the same length.
- Search your house for reusable paper or cardboard materials. These can include (but are not limited to) cereal boxes, cracker boxes, shoe boxes, or blank sides of posters.
- Ask your child to name the four seasons. Once she has named all four, discuss what types of weather you might see and feel during each season.
- Invite your child to create a summer sun drawing. Encourage her to decide what shape the sun is, and then draw it using crayons.
- Cut out the sun shape, and draw the same sunny picture on the back. Then punch a hole near the top of the summer sun.
- Next, ask your child to create a cloudy day creation for the mobile by drawing a cloud shape on the cardboard. Help her cut the shape out.
- Glue cotton balls to one side of the shape and set it aside to dry.
- Once it's dry, turn it over and over the other side with cotton balls. When the second side is dry, punch a hole near the top of the cloud. You should end up with a soft, fluffy cloud.
- To make the snow part of the mobile, hand your child a piece of white paper. Fold the paper in half, and then in half again. Use the scissors to cut small slits and shapes in the paper. Unfold to reveal a snowflake! Then punch a hole near the top.
- Ask your child to draw a rain drop shape and cut it out. Using the water colors (after all, raindrops are water!) have her paint the raindrop. Once dry, punch a hole near the top.
- Help your child thread a piece of yarn through each weather pattern hole, tying a knot to secure it.
- Cross the sticks to make a plus sign and wrap the yarn around the spot where both sticks cross. Tie securely, and add another piece of yarn tied to the middle to hang the mobile from.
- Tie the sun, clouds, snow, and rain to one end of each stick.
- Hang the weather mobile up, and keep the project going by asking your child to point each morning to the side that matches the day's weather!