America's Best Sandwich
- Make a Sequence Sandwich!
- Sandwich Kebab
- Sandwich Container
- Handprint Sandwich
- Create a Sandwich Bag Explosion!
- Felt Sandwich
Bread is big business. According to a recent study conducted by the NPD Group on Eating Patterns in America, sandwiches are now the number one main dish on American dinner tables. We’re talking close to one billion sandwiches a year.
In praise of the humble family staple, the Grain Foods Foundation partnered with celebrity chef Dave Lieberman to find America’s best-tasting healthy sandwich. They scoured close to 1,300 entries sent in by everyday cooks around the country. Tracey McCaughey of Ardmore, Pennsylvania, won top prize in America’s Healthy Sandwich Showdown.
So for parents looking for something new, here it is. We’re not sure picky kids will go for it, but we bet it will be a big hit at your next PTA meeting!
Grilled Chicken With a Pomegranate and Caramelized Onion Reduction and Goat Cheese
4 whole-wheat Kaiser rolls
3 T extra virgin olive oil
2 large onions, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced, about 3 cups
1 1/2 cups pomegranate juice
1/4 cup honey
2 chicken breasts
3 ounces creamy goat cheese
Leaves of 1 romaine lettuce heart
- To make the Pomegranate and Caramelized Onion Reduction: In a medium skillet or saucepan, heat the olive oil until warm and add the onion. Cook onion on medium-low heat for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until caramelized. Add the pomegranate juice and honey, and cook for about 10 minutes until reduced to about 3/4 cup.
- While sauce is reducing, heat grill pan on medium heat and grill chicken breasts until done, about 10 minutes. Slice each breast in half lengthwise.
- Open rolls and spread goat cheese evenly on the bottom half of each. Place a couple leaves of lettuce on top of the goat cheese and top with grilled chicken breasts. Spoon pomegranate reduction over chicken breasts and onto cut side of Kaiser roll lid. Top chicken breasts with roll lid and serve.
Serving size: 4 sandwiches
Recipe provided courtesy of the Grain Foods Foundation.
Washington Virtual Academies
Tuition-free online school for Washington students.