A Photo Frame Luminary for Your Valentine!
by Shannon McMath
Is there a special person in your child’s life that deserves an extra special Valentine this year? This Photo Frame Luminary makes a wonderful gift that will be treasured long after cupid puts down his bow! As soon as the candle is lit, its simple design is transformed into a dramatic display.
This is a great craft to make for parents, grandparents, other family members, or even teachers. And it’s not just for Valentine’s Day. You and your child can make them for any special occasion!
What You Need:
- 6 Large Craft Sticks – Tongue Depressor Size
- Craft Jewels in Valentine Colors
- Foam Letter Stickers
- Paints in Valentine Colors
- Sheet of Vellum
- Digital Photograph (to print onto the vellum)
- Glue Stick
- White Glue
- Votive Candle in a Holder
- Optional: Glue Gun
What You Do:
- Before you begin, you’ll want to print out the photograph onto the sheet of vellum using your ink jet printer. The opening of the frame you are making is approximately 4 ½ inches square, so make sure your photo is about that size. If you are familiar with photo editing software, it may be a good idea to “darken” the photo before printing, to make it more dramatic as the light from the candle shines through.
- The first step is to glue four of the craft sticks together into a square. This will be the frame for your photo. Once the glue dries a little, paint the frame and let it dry.
- Now it’s time to decorate! Take your foam sticker letters and spell out the Valentine word of your choice. We chose L-O-V-E but you can put your name, Be Mine!, Friends – it all depends on who you are giving it to and which picture you’ve chosen to use.
- Next, lay out all of your craft jewels on your work surface and begin to glue them onto the frame in any style you choose. (You don’t have to stop with the jewels! Get creative and add glitter glue, other stickers, buttons, beads or whatever else you want.)
- To add the photo to the frame, trim the excess vellum from around the photo being sure to leave enough of an edge to glue onto the frame. Using a glue stick, glue the photo to the back side of the frame so the image shows through the opening.
- This next step is a little tricky. If an adult is assisting and has a glue gun, now is the time to pull it out. You need to glue the last two craft sticks onto the frame to make it stand up. You can do this with white glue but it will take a long time to dry so you’ll have to make sure to secure it upright until the glue holds.
- Once everything is dry, place the votive in it’s holder and place behind the luminary. Now you’re ready to present this special Valentine gift to your special Valentine!