croatin
croatin , Parent asks:
Q:

How can I get my 1 year old to listen to me better as a single 21 year old mom?

I'm a 21 year old single mom with a 1 year old son I'm having trouble getting him to listen to me.like for example i tell him not to touch the phone or the cable box for the TV he just looks at me and turns and touches it any whys.iv put him in a 1 min. time out that don't work.
iv gave him a toy before he touched it and told him this is what you can touch and pointed at what he couldn't touch.
and anther problem i have with him is he has angry fits he kicks his feet and screams when he doesn't get what he wants i don't know what else to do please help me out
In Topics: My child's growth and development, Discipline and behavior challenges, Motherhood

|

Sounds like you are frustrated by your child's behaviors.  However, testing limits and throwing temper tantrums are normal aspects of your child's development at this age.  He needs to learn what the limits are, and you can teach him that in a loving way and by being consistent.  He throws tantrums, because he is unable to express his frustration in any other way due to limited language skills.  

Please read these articles:

Practicing healthy discipline:
http://www.pluggedinparents.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=172&Itemid=0

Developmental milestones 12-18  months
http://www.pluggedinparents.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=141&Itemid=0
3
0

frightened
frightened writes:
I totally agree regarding the tantrums, and timeouts are pretty uneffective until the age of 2.  If you would like a slightly unconvential way to stop the touching this is what I did and it worked wonderfully. If you use your thumb and middle finger to "flick" their hand it stings a little and is unpleasant but your are not teaching them to hit or slap. Young children are not able to mimic this "flick" action. After a few times all I had to do was warn my children and the behavior stopped.

0
0
gr8chefmb
gr8chefmb writes:
There is an AWESOME program called 'Parenting with Love & Logic' [I think Jim Fay is founder - http://www.loveandlogic.com/] that works very well. You can order materials from their website or find local classes. You might also contact your local community education program or local school district and ask to talk to a counselor who might have information availablt. 'Love & Logic' teaches you how to parent your children to make their own decisions [good or bad] and help them accept the consequences to those decisions, such as touching the phone. You would tell your son that he may not play with the phone, or if he chooses to do so, he will then be choosing to spend a few minutes in time out or without his most favorite item. The key with any discipline is CONSISTENCY. If you are not consistent, then the issue becomes worse. Good luck!

1
0
Anonymous