Anonymous
Q:

My 10 y.o daughter acted out in school.

I told her to pack her books and let's go 6 times! she did not move. She continue to yell that I was being unfair about punishing her for opening my school mail and her poor grade on a test. She was talking back very rudly and very disrespectful. I was totally embarrassed that she wouldnt stop speaking to me like that. I had had enough of the yelling so I swatted her bottom 2 times.  She then begin to yell at the top of her lungs "why are you beating me". I just stood there and told her to get in the car. She refused and continued screaming. A teacher heard and reported it to the principal. I am sure it will be reported to the State. My daughter thought was she would yell and get me in trouble - now we are both afraid that she went to far with the lies and will get removed from the home. BTW, I dont and didnt beat her. But this screaming behavior has got to stop. Please help! I havent been contacted by the school but I am sure I will. When I took her in today no one said anything but I think the principal is out of the office today. I am really concerned about when I go to pick her up.
In Topics: Teen issues, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Thank you for contacting Education.com

We are sorry that you and your daughter are struggling with your relationship right now. It is unfortunate that the situation at school got out of hand and you felt you had to resort to swatting your daughter, and she felt she had to resort to screaming. It is possible that the state CPS will be contacting you, but it's also possible that they may not. Either way, you can look at this situation as a learning opportunity and a time for you to make some positive changes.

It is unlikely that your daughter will be removed from the home, from what you have said. But, you may be asked to take a parenting class and attend counseling with your daughter. If CPS does not get involved, we still recommend that you take this opportunity to learn more effective ways of discipline and communication with your daughter.

How you handle yourself speaks volumes to your daughter. Of course, her back talking and screaming when she does not get her way is not right.  But you can learn how to stay more in control of your emotions and teach her with discipline, rather than punish her.

If you call or e-mail our Hotline and provide us with your city and state we can find parenting resources for you. You can also go to our website: www.parenting.org for more information on child development and parenting issues. We are here 24 hours, 7 days a week for parents and children. Take care and hope to hear from you soon!

Cynthia, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
hotline@boystown.org

0
0

helper13
helper13 writes:
Well first off hitting is absolutely not what you do.I don't care what your situation is,just DON'T.Next depending on what state you live in chances are they have way worse child abuse problems going on then a spaniking.Third did you notice how you said she screams?You do to.If you do so will she.next time she starts talk really low almost through your teeth 1.She won't be able to hear you without lowering her voice and 2.She'll see you aren't yelling so she won't feel the need to yell back.Try it out next time don't yell talk angrily quietly.

0
0