mestaples
mestaples asks:
Q:

A 10 year old boy in our play group had a BB gun and threatened my children.  What do I do?

We have a weekly play group with kids ages 3 to 10.  The home owner's son (age 10)apparently had access to a BB gun and the bb's.  He got it out during play time and asked his mom if him and another boy could go outside and target practice with no adult supervision outside.  I was thankful my girls were upstairs playing.  Turns out, they had gone outside to play on the trails behind the house.  The boys confronted the group of girls (my 2 and 2 sisters of these boys) about being on "their" trail.  The boys then threatened the girls saying that they had a gun and weren't afraid to use it, then pointing it at my youngest daughter, age 8.  All four girls were completely terrified, even the sisters of these boys.  The boy with the BB gun is hot tempered and can be a real bully. The kids came into the house, told the whole story.  The boys felt justified in defending their turf.  The mother then put all the kids through the ringer about their bickering, then let them go play!  She was floored when I was angry and told her that what her son had done was illegal and that if I were to call the police, he might very well be taken into custody. I took my kids and left.  Two days have passed and we have not received a call to apologize or tell us what they have done to resolve this.  I expected a least an apology from the boy and a plan for discipline and safety.  Was I wrong not to report this?  Should I pursue the issue with parents or turn it over to juvenile services?

|