victoria20
victoria20 asks:
Q:

How do I get my 10 year daughter to go to sleep in her own room?

I have always let my daughter sleep with me on the couch and then take her to bed after. She manages to for the most part stay in her bed for the whole night after that. I cannot however manage to get her to go to sleep on her own and in her own bed. She is very dependent on me and lacks confidence in herself and I am afraid that by letting her getting away with this that I am not helping her build her confidence. On the other hand, I want to help her but not sure if I should be getting angry and punishing her or not? Are there some helpful hints to help her get to sleep on her own?
In Topics: Parenting / Our Family, Sleep and rest

|

Sit her down and explain it is time for her to sleep in her own room--no exceptions.  Like quitting smoking, pick a date and stick to it.  You are the parent and she is the child so you must win and not give in.  Explain that your love for her includes teaching skills and sleeping alone is one of them.  Go with her to get a new bedspread or some decoration and it helps to have a "prop" such as a stuffed animal to share in her bed.

Best wishes.

1
0