jessan41
jessan41 asks:
Q:

My 10 year old refuses to go to school

My 10 year old son has missed about 3 months of school this year. It's turned into a regular morning routine and is beginning to effect the rest of the family and threaten my employment.
I have him in counselling, he's been assessed by a phsycologist and diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, but none of this is actually getting him into the classroom everyday.
I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?
In Topics: School and Academics, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Wow this is a tough one.  What does the psychologist say about the situation?  What is causing the anxiety?  I realize it is the end of the school year, but what does the school have to say about the situation?  Are they doing anything to help?
I have many questions I'd like to ask you.  But here are a few things to think about or ask for.

Get a plan.  The psychologist should be able to give you a plan to help you help your son to overcome or deal with his disorder.  There should be long and short term goals.

Find a support group.  You need other people who are in your shoes to help and support you.  Whether it is a face-to-face group or one found online, they can provide you with suggestions as well as make you feel you are not alone.  

Get a check up.  You may want to take your son to a doctor to have a complete physical.  Explain to the doctor what is going on.  Request a blood test to make sure all of his levels are in balance.

Talk. Because this is now affecting the whole family, then the whole family should be talking.  Be open and honest.  Ask family member what they think they can do to help out.  It might be spending more time with your son, inviting him to come along to another friend's house, or just be a little nicer when they see things are going downhill.

Meet with the school's guidance counselor.  Ask them what they can do to help the situation next year.  Is there a teacher who might be better suited to deal with your son?  Does the school have a Resource Office or another person that could be a go to person so he would feel safe while at school?  Start putting things in place now for next year.

Hopefully, something here will spark and idea.  Good luck.

0
0