veggiemom
veggiemom asks:
Q:

10 year old son can't make friends. Can anyone help us?

My son is a nice kid. He has never been able to connect easily. Finally, in 3rd grade he made the best friend ever. Two years later he moved away. We see him every other weekend now because of the distance. However, my son is isolated and unhappy once again with no one to connect with at school. He is showing signs of stress, quick to anger, general sadness. Especially at this age he needs to feel accepted by his peers and connect on more than a superficial level. I am very worried about him and where this can lead. We have tried very hard to help him by talking about ways he can approach kids or join groups. Nothing is working. I hate to see him suffer like this and I am scared. Can anyone help us?
In Topics: My child's growth and development, Parenting / Our Family, Friendships and peer relationships

|

I am so sorry that your son and your family have now hit a very bumpy road.

Changes in children can be expected, however, in my opinion what you describe is outside of the norm.  You are clearly depicting a scenario that is worth a discussion with your child's pediatrician, school counselor, or a mental health counselor.  Please, seek immediate attention.

Your child's school should be equipped to refer you for help, as is a physician.  Document what changes you have noticed. Try and keep the home environment nurturing and not confrontational.

And please, if you have any firearms in the home, consider removing them for  safety of all.  If you feel that your son or anyone else is in harms way call 9-1-1 for immediate assistance.  Don't be afraid to make the call due to feeling that you may betray your son.

I wish you much luck.  Please let us know how your family is doing in the future.

2
5

Anonymous