Dhyan asks:

A 10th standard pass, profound deaf student from India wants to learn in US. What are the courses, and in which universities?

The student is profoundly deaf but can lip read and speak in her mother tounge and also in english. She will complete her 12 th standard after 2 years. She wants to study in US after that.
Which universities offer courses for such students and what are the courses offered?
In Topics: Choosing a school, Study abroad, Getting ready for college
> 60 days ago



Jun 28, 2010
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk here on Education.com,

I would start by investigating the two major universities that are known for their deaf centered programs-  The first is Gallaudet University which is located in Washington D.C.  This is a four year accredited university.  Second, is the National Technical Institute of the Deaf which is housed at the Rochester Institute for the Deaf in Rochester, New York.

Both are located on the east coast of the United States and are known for their outstanding educational programs and opportunities. Both also have a large international population. It would be recommended to have some knowledge of American Sign Language (ASL) before you apply to either as both are schools that use ASL within their classroom settings (although some students are non-signers).  Having some ASL skills is advised as other students will be using ASL and your student can then make friends in addition to being able to communicate with deaf teachers, too!

Good luck!

Louise Sattler
Owner of Signing Families (http://www.SigningFamilies.com)
Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend Education.com to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely