jojo07
jojo07 asks:
Q:

How can I help my 11 year old brother come to terms with his sexuality?

Im 19 years old and I have an 11 year old brother that told my mother that he's not sure if he's bisexual or not. My mother came to me and told me this story and of course, shockingly, I was surprised. My little brother asked her to please not say anything to the rest of the family and of course my mother and I tell each other everything. She is asking me to help her out on this situation. Any Advise???
In Topics: Teen sexuality and dating

|

It's not uncommon that an 11 yr. old would have questions or curiosities about their sexuality. It's great that your mom didn't get angry and defensive, but rather just listened to his feelings.

Being a good listener is very important at this point. I would encourage your mom to take your brother to a counselor that specializes in teens. Not because there is something wrong with him for feeling the way he does, but simply for him to have an unbiased 3rd party professional to talk to. It would be important for your mom to explain to him that he's not going to counseling because he's in trouble or wrong, but simply for him to have an opportunity to talk to someone about all the conflicting feelings he's having in a safe and confidential environment. Also, sometimes it can be difficult to talk to a parent about sexuality issues if they think their parents will be upset or disappointed, so speaking with a counselor is a great alternative.

It's great that your brother is reaching out for help and willing to be honest with your mom about how he's feeling. If your mom is looking for counseling referrals in your local area she is welcome to call the Boys Town National Hotline 24/7. We can be reached by calling 1-800-448-3000. We have a database that includes referrals for agencies throughout the country.

Take Care!!
1-800-448-3000

1
0