Anonymous
Q:

How do you get your 11 year old daughter to try new things without it being to hard or giving up? For instance like riding your own bike.

Member Added on Oct 6, 2009
She has aspergers Syndrome
In Topics: Nature and outdoors, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome, Exercise and fitness

|
fritzr
fritzr writes:
My daughter doesn't have aspergers but I find with her that I can build her up to things through positive affirmation and creating aspirations without mentioning the particular goal you are trying to accomplish.  It also helps to link these to things she does do well that have similar traits.

For instance, something like riding a bike is a very independent minded activity.  Affirm other things she does well that demonstrate her independence.  "I was really proud of you when you set the table without my asking you to."

"Wow! Did you see how much fun that girl was having riding her bike?  She's a really good rider." The trick here I find is not to mention that your daughter can't do it because then you've turned a positive aspiration into a negative comment about her.

If you can give her a little assistance that is also very good for building confidence.  Basically you can be parental training wheels for her.

Hope this helps.

0
0
ashita21
ashita21 , Student writes:
start at a level much lower than hers so that wen she has successful experiences, she feels motivated to try further.
for riding a bike... she needs to have had ample positive experience riding a two wheeler behind someone else.
then u can go on to bicycle training with training wheels and support.
then go on to riding the cycle with training wheels, but without support.
then, only wen she is ready remove one training wheel and provide support for riding.
then gradually take away the support.
wen she is ready, remove the second wheel as well, and provide support.
gradually remove the support and allow her to ride it alone.
the main idea is to do this systematically and very gradually.

since she has aspergers, she MAY not be able to express certain things/feelings wen on the bike, so u need to keep an extra eye out to understand wats going on over there.

hope this helps... :)

0
0
Anonymous