tinygirl11
tinygirl11 asks:
Q:

11 yr old underweight. Should I be concerned?

11 yr old daughter is 56.25 lb. and 57 inches tall. This is a routine measurement done by the school nurse. Her body mass index is 12.19 and BMI for age percentile is 4.90. She eats and seems to be getting taller but not gaining weight. The nurse practitioner seemed concerned b/c she slowed down on the wt gain as it has previously been on her normal growth curve. Her dad is tall and slender, we just thought she is built like him. I am getting concerned now. Should I be??
In Topics: Physical development, Physical Health

|

If a child's weight is falling on the percentile chart, and the fall equals to 2 or more standard deviations, that might signify a health issue.  However, it would be the best to consult with your child's health care provider to identify the reason for your daughter's slowed weight gain.  Perhaps this new weight percentile is normal; however, if the nurse practitioner voiced a concern, have your daughter evaluated by her regular provider.

1
0