damomaof4
damomaof4 asks:
Q:

I have a 12 year old 7th grader who I am wanting to hold her back in her grade. She has been diagnosed with ADHD and Bi-polar.

Should it be wise to hold a child back a grade when they are capable of making the grades needed but refuse to do so? I have had her tested already for any LD problems and they all say she is at or above her grade level.
In Topics: Special needs, ADHD & attention issues

|

this is a discussion to have with your schools principal, special educator, and perhaps her psychiatrist.  Form a team to help her and possibly ask them all to meet or conference on the phone to help you make this important decision.

0
0

struggling
struggling writes:
I would have to agree with the expert. I have a 12 year old and she is in 6th grade..she too has severe ADHD and was only held back because of her birthday (in pre k)...something about her being too close to the cut off date. But it has been a constant struggle to get her to accomplish anything. We meet with the school counselor and her teachers and vice principal regularly to discuss options as far as getting her work done and wether or not they feel she needs to be held back or take special classes to help her along. Tuttoring is another option..some schools will offer that. But it is very important to get involved with those school officials to discuss this so you are all on the same page and can work together to help your daughter.

0
0