Anonymous
Q:

My 12 year old daughter isn't comfortable showing affection to her dad.  

My daughter is affectionate to me.  She will put her head on my shoulder, hold my hand, give me kisses & hugs, etc.  But she shies away from this behavior with her dad.  

First and foremost, there is absolutely nothing inappropriate going on that would make her scared about this.  She just says, "He's my dad and it's weird."  But at the same time she will hug her grandpa and hold his hand, etc.

Her dad is a wonderful person and he tries very hard to relate to her.  But it's just not the typical "daddy's little girl" relationship that I envisioned.  They relate by occasionally playing sports, listening to music and singing and playing video games together.  And she talks to him normally enough.  He's affectionate to her but she doesn't reciprocate.  I think this hurts him.  Is this normal?  

She's also recently told me that she doesn't like the "baby" nick-names that he calls her "peaches" "pumpkin" etc.  Again, I think this made him feel bad.  But I assured him that this part was her "growing up" and not wanting anything that came close to making her feel like a baby.  But the affection she's never been generous with him.

In typical disciplinarian fashion - he does tend to be the more strict.  Although she's never ever been beaten or abused in any way by anyone.  So I don't see this being a "past experience" issue.

Is this normal?

In Topics: Self esteem and identity, Fatherhood

|

Anonymous