Rocky7672
Rocky7672 asks:
Q:

How can I get my 12 year old daughter get involved in an activity- anything to help her meet friends!!!

My daughter has some "friends" but not a "best" friend. Recently her dad & I divorced so she had to move out of her house& now where we live she has no friends. She is still in the same school but I just feel like she needs to do something outside of school- be able to meet new people- she has a great personality but not very high self esteem. She told me last night that she needed friends.. I want to help but not sure how!!
In Topics: Friendships and peer relationships

|
priscillamaarie
priscillama... writes:
she may not have nearby friends but that doesn't mean she has no friends, she still has friends at school you should remind her that. as a parent you cant force her to be a social butterfly, she may feel pressured & overwhelmed by all the changes at the moment. the best you can do is spend time with her, sign her up for a sport or dance of HER choice. you cant force her to do something she doesn't want right? And you need to encourage her talents or skills and work with self esteem or confidence that way she will be ready to go out and meet new people.

1
0
CWestley
CWestley writes:
I agree that kids need to decide decide for themselves what they want to participate in.  However, I made a parental decision on my daughter's behalf and put her in a girls program called ROPP (I don't remember what it stands for but they have a website).  She did not want to do it initially so I told her to just give it a try and if she didn't like it after 3 tries she could quit.  Well, after her 1st meeting, she was hooked! Everyone in her group is a 6th grade girl (every grade level from 6th through 12th has its own group) and she has made great connections.  So far this year, she has learned basic sewing skills, about health and nutrition, done community service and had a major fundraiser.  Last Saturday, they even took a limousine ride to a fancy restaurant to practice their etiquette skills.  She loves it.  I'm sure there are more programs you could get her into that exposes her to peers and teaches her valuable life skills in the process.  Part of the reason I chose ROPP is because it is an annual program that cost $300/year.  It has been good for her.   Good luck!

1
0