Jozi
Jozi asks:
Q:

My 12 year old daughter is scared to sleep or shower or bath alone.  How do I get her past it? This has been going on for years.

In Topics: My child's growth and development, Physical Health, Communicating with my child (The tough talks)

|

Hello Jozi and thank you for writing to JustAsk.

It would appear that your child may have an irrational fear of sleeping, showering or bathing alone (or perhaps a very strong preference due to years of habit).  Regardless, you may wish to talk with her school counselor who may be able to help her work towards short term goals in order to finally achieve independence with these tasks.

Owner of SigningFamilies.com

1
2

makeachange
makeachange writes:
my younger sister had similar problems. My parents thought it would be better to change things slowly. Keep the door to the bathroom open when she showers and tell her that you'll be in the next room. Also remind her that she can call you if she is scared and you'll be there. My parents got my sister a walkie-talkie so that she could communicate with anyone of us while she was taking a shower. If your daughter gets used to taking a bath alone, it will be easier for her to sleep alone. Dim lights can also used if she is afraid of being alone in the dark.

best of luck and i hope i was able to help.

3
0
Anonymous