disneydiva198
disneydiva198 , Caregiver, Parent asks:
Q:

My 12 year old daughter is teased at school all the time. I have told her to inform the teachers but she is scared to do so.

How do I help her to be more independent? She is a special needs child but is mainstreamed. She has told me that she is scared that she might get suspended for telling on the kids who do this to her. ALL help is welcomed.

|

AnnieFox

Independence is a gradual long-term process... ongoing teasing is damaging your daughter's self-esteem in the short term and must be addressed now. Reassure your daughter that there is no way she'd get "suspended" for reporting the bullying she's experiencing. Tell her you know this for a fact. Hopefully that will calm her down a bit and ease her fear. Ask her what else is in the way of speaking to her teacher(s) about what's going on? Role play the scene for her in which she talks to the teacher (you play your daughter first then switch roles and let her then speak for herself.) If, with your support and encouragement she is still unwilling to report the teasing on her own, offer to set up an appointment with the teacher and be there with her.  If she isn't willing to do that, tell her that as her mom, you need to keep her safe. Teasing is NOT OK and you're no longer willing to sit back and let it continue to happen. Then call the school and make yourself heard. You are your daughter's advocate and she needs you.
1
0