Lissaa1101
Lissaa1101 asks:
Q:

Is it Ok for 12 year olds to be dating?

My daughter (she's almost 12 In a couPle of weeks)
Has a boyfriend (he's almost 13) and he seems really nice,
But I don't know if it's right that I'm completely cool with it, should I be worried?
In Topics: Teen sexuality and dating

|

That seems pretty young, but it all depends on what you consider "dating."  Their relationship is probably much different from a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship amongst older kids.

It's hard to tell your daughter she can't see a boy whom she really feels a lot of love for, so instead of telling her she can't date or something like that, make sure that their interaction is chaperoned.  Instead of going on "dates" with each other, make sure an adult is there; group dates are good ideas, too.  Really monitor her behavior and communication with this boy, because she's probably too young to know exactly how to behave with a boyfriend.  This is going to be a huge learning experience, and you can help her by watching her and teaching her.

MKM, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
1
0