Lissaa1101
Lissaa1101 asks:
Q:

Is it Ok for 12 year olds to be dating?

My daughter (she's almost 12 In a couPle of weeks)
Has a boyfriend (he's almost 13) and he seems really nice,
But I don't know if it's right that I'm completely cool with it, should I be worried?
In Topics: Teen sexuality and dating

|

That seems pretty young, but it all depends on what you consider "dating."  Their relationship is probably much different from a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship amongst older kids.

It's hard to tell your daughter she can't see a boy whom she really feels a lot of love for, so instead of telling her she can't date or something like that, make sure that their interaction is chaperoned.  Instead of going on "dates" with each other, make sure an adult is there; group dates are good ideas, too.  Really monitor her behavior and communication with this boy, because she's probably too young to know exactly how to behave with a boyfriend.  This is going to be a huge learning experience, and you can help her by watching her and teaching her.

MKM, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
1
0

Stephanie99
Stephanie99 writes:
I think it is ok for 12 year old kids to be "dating". When most kids in middle school say they are "dating", it just means that two kids have a crush on each other. The worst they are probably doing is holding hands. Still, you should keep an eye on them. Never let the "dating" thing get out of hand. :)

3
1
donnaflake
donnaflake writes:
Sorry, but this is too young for both of them.  I'd allow them to socialize in a group setting, period.  The younger they start pairing off the younger other things follow.  Relationships follow a natural progression and to allow it at this young of an age you can count on everything else coming at a younger age also.  Children this age aren't mature enough to handle an adult relationship.

1
2
tallley
tallley writes:
smh i think you should not  let you child date at 12 years old because boys allways going too be around..this the time where she should be thinkin about school..and what she what too be in life..point blank.. she just need to be focued on school...cause now and days kids movein fast and havein sex at the age of 12.....

0
2
JamesBlake
JamesBlake writes:
It's all right I'm 14 myself but when I was twelve I had a girl friend all we did at most was kiss but she had a over protective mom and eventually she got really mad and wouldn't talk to her so I'd recemend that let them do what ever as long as it dosnt get too sireous kissing dosnt count as serious or holding hands or huggIng wat does count as sireous is sex

1
1
AyoAro
AyoAro writes:
I think it is OK as long as the boy wont hurt her

1
0
Saburt1
Saburt1 writes:
12 is way to young to be dating.  Starting out so young leads to relationships they may not be emotionally ready for.

0
0