armaro
armaro asks:
Q:

My 12 year old son with Instagram.

My 12 year old son is on Instagram he posted his name and phone number he kept talking about how many followers he has when I looked at his phone he had several texts from these 14,15 year old girls not to mention some of his followers are grown men. I want to delete Instagram, and have a talk with him about the dangers off Internet however I not sure what to say.  Should I turn his phone off and take away Internet for some time?
In Topics: Children and cell phones, Children and the internet

|

JeanneBrockmyer

It's good you are on top of your son's use of this technology.  Sounds like you need to have a talk with him about Internet safety, which includes not sharing his name and phone number with strangers.  There is a great web site on education.com (see below) that will give you very useful information.
For your first step, I would tell him you are concerned about his safety and need to be sure he is using the privilege of having a phone wisely.  To emphasize the seriousness of your concern I would recommend taking both his phone and the Internet away for a brief period of time, say a few days.  During this time, ask him to read a few articles about Internet safety/dangers and write you a paragraph about it. If this seems successful then return his phone and Internet privileges gradually, in hour increments, while continuing to monitor his choices.  When these privileges are fully restored I would continue periodic monitoring.

Jeanne H. Brockmyer, Ph. D.
education.com expert clinical child psychologist
0
0
Anonymous