sophie.a
sophie.a asks:
Q:

Help with 12yo daughter... Again!

For those who haven't read my previous question:

http://www.education.com/question/12yo-daughter...

Ok, so I got my daughter help and she has been fine, not cutting herself, not sleeping around, hardly ever lying...

I came home early yesterday after noon and I found my daughter crying... Immediately, after last time- I went to check what was up, she informed me that her best friend (who she WAS hanging out with during the time period of my last question) had just committed suicide. AGAIN. I have no idea what I am to do.... Her counsellor is booked for the next 3 months, and she refuses to speak to anyone else. Am I just to stand here and watch my baby girl cry so much her whole body shakes?

I really need support here!

Please help- and thanks for your answers... It is REALLY appreciated.
In Topics: Teen issues, Children and stress

|

Experiencing the loss of a loved one really is one of the most difficult experiences a person can go through...your daughter is definitely going through a very upsetting time right now, which is why it is so wonderful that you're wanting to help her as best you can.

For a better understanding of what she is experiencing, check out this link on grief, its stages, and characteristics: http://www.yourlifeyourvoice.org/DiscoverIt/Articles/Pages/DealingWithGrief.aspx

If you can't get her into see this counselor, the best thing you can do for your daughter is to continue being a strong, steady source of support and comfort for her. Offer to listen when she wants to talk. While you don't want to pressure her into doing more than she is comfortable with, you definitely don't want to let her shut herself down completely. Encouraging her to continue doing the things she normally would (school, work, extra-curricular activities, etc.) can help keep her motivated and socially active.

It might also help to encourage your daughter to channel her emotions in a healthy way. Starting up a diary, creating a scrapbook, writing poems, and writing song lyrics are all healthy ways your daughter could express those feelings she has inside. Don't allow her to bottle those feelings up inside, as this will just drag her down even further.

1-800-448-3000

1
0