WorriedMum72
WorriedMum72 asks:
Q:

13 year old with anxiety disorder, or not?

My 13 year old daughter has recently visited a clinical psychologist due to a variety of problems. She has always been shy but as she has gotten into double figures, things have gotten worse. She doesn't seem to enjoy anything at all. She hates school and often becomes tearful and feels ill. She does not communicate with any of her peers outside of school because she says that she cannot stand them. She will not go to any activities or clubs as again 'she does not like people' and won't even attend family gatherings. She actually did Majorettes for over a year but managed to never speak to anyone and then left because it was boring. When people ask her questions she goes bright red and gets tongue tied so I do know she is shy. Another thing is she gets very depressed at times and I know that she has spoken about ending her life with a friend.
What I am worried about is that, they seem to be very fast at labeling her with social anxiety but I am not sure if this is correct. They have given her literature about social anxiety and breathing exercises but she says that she doesn't feel anxious or have panic attacks; she just does not like many people. She has 3 friends at school but doesn't like them so much because she says 'they are immature and nasty at times'. The few people she does tend to get along with are over age 18 and she does not cope very well with changes in routine.
I really do not know what to do for the best now, feeling a little lost.
In Topics: Teen issues, Anxiety

|

Many people deal with some form of social anxiety. Try not to focus so much on the label of possible social anxiety that the clinical psychologist has given her but more on the skills and exercises that they have given her to make her feel more comfortable in social setting.

The adolescent years can be very challenging years. As parents we struggle with our children becoming independent adults and our adolescents struggle with a wide variety of issues.

The most important thing is to be there for our children. Keep open lines of communications with everyone child, parents, school, friends etc.

1-800-448-3000

0
0