softballchicka
softballchi... asks:
Q:

My 13 year old friend has been cutting herself, and I want to help her. What should I do?

The reason shes cutting herself is because another friend of mine went out with her, but broke up with her hours later because, at one point I dated this guy and he told me he still liked me and so he broke up with my friend. Shes been cutting herself since then, so about a week. We've seen her cutting herself during lunch with forks and during classes with a pencil. We've even seen her cut herself with a quarter. Shes even told me she has knives in her room in case she needs them. I went to the school councilor to get my friend the help she needs, but it only made it worse. I want to help her stop, but nothing me or my friends have done has worked. We're all worried about her and want to get her the help she needs. Any ideas on what to do because, were afraid the next time she does it will be the last time.
In Topics: Cutting

|
Hi softballchicka,

You are doing the right thing by reaching out for help, and your friend is lucky to have someone who's so supportive of her. Cutting is a dangerous habit to get into, and you are absolutely right to want to get help for her. Unfortunately, an online community can't be everything you need right now.

There is a free and anonymous hotline that can provide great support for your friend, and for you. The number is 1-800-DONT-CUT. Even if your friend doesn't feel comfortable calling, they can give you more information on the dangers and steps to recovery from self-injury.

You should also talk to a trusted adult (guidance counselor, teacher, etc.). These are trained professionals who will assist your friend in getting the help that she needs.

Lastly, if you ever feel like your friend's life is in immediate danger, call 911 immediately.

Thanks for being such a wonderful friend.

Alex
Community Team

0
0
ihatemyself108
ihatemyself... writes:
THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO NOT GIVE UP ON HER!!!!!!!! if u do she will fell like no one cares and she would care less if she gets better or not. I wish i had someone to talk to about my cutting by i cant and theirs nothing i can do bout it sooo yeah but hopes this helps @ least a little:)

0
0
christinasutula
christinasu... writes:
i think u need to try to help her by encouraging step by step.

0
0
Gookers
Gookers writes:
You are doing a great job in trying to help her! Stick with it and do NOT give up! She is going through a difficult phase right now and needs all the support and love she can get so she knows people care about her. Have you told her parents or do they know? Because you should definitely tell them asap. If she cuts herself ever again i would advise you to call 911 immediately and ask them to give your friend immediate help! I do not know the whole situation but it seems to me she is cutting herself a lot and very badly, in this case immediate action should be taken. I really hope your friend realizes how lucky she is to have you as a friend and how important life is. Let her know it will get better and you need to keep reminding her that life always has its up and downs but it always gets better than worse no matter how bad the situation seems. I've been in her shoes once...a year or so ago i believe...and i thought all hope of happiness was gone and everything just kept getting worse and worse but somehow..because of my friends..they kept pushing me and helping me. They never gave up on me and now I've gotten so happy I can't even explain it. My friends gave me so much help/support it was unbelievable..just keep helping her and reminding her she is loved and should respect herself for she is a beautiful girl who will have great happiness in the future...no doubt about it!....i hope i helped and i really really hope your situation gets better very VERY soon! i will pray for you and her! Goodluck and never give up!

0
0