peggysb
peggysb asks:
Q:

How do I help my 13 year old overweight son?

My Son is 13 and overweight.  He is in Hockey 7days a week for 6 months and in the summer is is outside playing he has never been one to sit and watch tv or play games on nintendo etc.  it seems though that during his hockey season October through March is when he gains more weight. he has tried to increase his fruits and veg. and decrease carbs, I am at a loss and not sure on how to help him I've asked doctors and they tell me he will start growing more and loose weight, this is something that bothers him and also me. I'm not sure which one worse.
In Topics: Exercise and fitness

|
KidAngel
KidAngel writes:
Hi Mom,
If I go by what you've stated, then I understand you to say that he is getting plenty of exercise and he is watching his food intake. Low carbs and portion control are good, right? Rather than asking doctors, take him to your family doctor and ask that they check his "thyroid". Then, if his thyroid is functioning properly, I would need to go with, "your son is eating when you are not around". Teenagers are notorious for hanging out with their friends at the local teenager hangouts and what do they do there, they eat!! Hope I've given you a few other perspectives to look at. Good luck, Mom!!

Barbara Antinoro
Educational Counselor
Kid Angel Foundation
Education.com Team

1
0
Student_Teacher_Uk
Student_Tea... writes:
Hi there, my brother was 14/15 when he started piling on weight and whilst he always had a sweet tooth and was never far from a chocolate bar, he too did lots of sport and was always runing around. My mother fed us all a healthy diet with loads of home grown veg, but his weight just piled on.
Once he turned 16 thought he shot up a foot in about 8 months and all the flab went with him. It was like his body was storing the fat and stretching the skin so that when he shot up he had skin to stretch into!!!! :D
He's 18 now and is 6' 3" and still really skinny (30-32") and yes the chocolate bars are still never far away!

So don't worry about lots of my friends brothers did the same thing, and the more you worry the more he will, just support him encourage him in his sport still and wait for him to start shooting up!

Hope it helps!
xx

1
0
mheyman
mheyman writes:
moderation!  It is important to recognize that overweight children and teenagers are at higher risk to continue to evolve into overweight adults.  So balanced diet, teaching your children and teens to make healthy choices, and maintaining an active lifestyle all help to build healthy habits and body weights in young individuals that we hope sets a pattern for the rest of our lives.  

The CDC has several programs including the link below to help lead children and adolescents to healthier lifestyles.

0
0