ASPIESMOM
ASPIESMOM asks:
Q:

How can I help my 13 year son with his asperger's disorder also adhd. It's hard to cope/deal with him.

My son is ASPERGER'S DISORDER also ADHD he's in middle school (public school) and sometimes is hard to cope/deal with him. he don't want to be touch. i think that he has SENSORY INTEGRATION. i want to know more about this. my son is doing good in school. thank you for your time.
In Topics: Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk!  I can tell that you are very frustrated and need to have some assistance.

I would recommend that you ask in writing for the multi-disciplinary special education team that is assigned to your son in his school to convene.  When you meet ask for information about sensory integration screenings and if an occupational therapist or other qualified professionals can assess your son.  Together all of you will be able to establish what would be the next course of action in regard to your son's education.  

Also, note that not wanting to be touched is sometimes referred to as "tactile defensiveness".  You may wish to read more about this on autism informational websites.

Owner of Signing Families
http://www.Signingfamilies.com
1
0

2boy'smom
2boy'smom writes:
I highly recommend OT and my son has the same diagnosis. We did 6 months of occupational therapy at our community's children hospital and found that it reduced his problems with touch significantly as well as addressing some of the motor delays that plagued him. While it didn't "fix" everything, three years later, I still think it was one of the best things we ever did for him. We did three hours every Tuesday for 6 months.

0
0