kkelly
kkelly asks:
Q:

What do I do about my 13 year old son's fear of AIDS?

I have 13 year old twin boys. One of them has a fear of AIDS. He thinks he has AIDS or he will get it. We do not know anyone with AIDS and he is not at risk. Yesterday at school the child in front of him had a spot on his arm that was probably an insect bite, anyway he had picked the scab off then used the same hand to pass my son a paper. Has anyone had this problem? This all started 2 weeks ago. He came home from school upset with the thought he had Hepatitis. HELP!!!
In Topics: Anxiety, Parenting multiples

|
Edu-Katherine
Edu-Katherine writes:
Hi Kay,

I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. This has to be stressful not only for you but your son as well. Poor kid!  I wonder if it might be a good idea to take your son to your physician so he can explain exactly what AIDS is, how it is and isn't transmitted. Beyond that, if he is upsetting himself with the thought of contracting different diseases and illnesses, perhaps he needs to have some counseling to see what is at the route of these fears about getting sick?  I feel so bad for all of you. It's so hard to see kids worry like this, isn't it.

Have you taken him through any counseling yet?

Edu-Katherine
Community Team

0
0
kkelly
kkelly writes:
Hi Katherine,

Thanks for the info and support!  I believe all of this was either started or ignited at school in his health class. Last week I scheduled him an appointment with his pediatrician. After he thought about it for 2 days, he asked me to "PLEASE" cancel it. Like a dummy, I cancelled it this morning. I checked with our health insurance and discovered we no longer have "mental health" benefits.  If this continues, we will get him into counseling but I'm not sure where to start. Pediatrician, Mental Health Center. Any suggestions? One more thing- since I am new to this site I'm not sure if I have broken any rules for this site. On your response it has been flagged as inappropriate. What does this mean?
Again I would like to thank you.

kay

0
0
Anonymous