Francoise
Francoise asks:
Q:

I have a 14 year old daughter.  We have tried everything to get her to be effective and organized. How can we get her to take pride in her work?

In Topics: Motivation and achievement at school, Helping my child with school work and home work

|

Dr.Susan

Often when teens are disorganized it is because they have an undiagnosed learning disability or ADHD. In girls, this can be particularly difficult to diagnose. It is important to be supportive, rather than critical of your daughter, especially if she is frustrated. The fact that she isn't 'taking pride in her work', doesn't mean she doesn't care--perhaps it is just very difficult for her. I suggest that you speak with a school psychologist and possibly have her evaluated to determine what you and school can do to give her the specific support she might need.
Good Wishes and Great Parenting,
Dr Susan Bartell
www.drsusanbartell.com
Twitter @drsusanbartell
NEW book “The Top 50 Questions Kids Ask”

1
0