ibelievet
ibelievet asks:
Q:

My 14 year old won't study and isn't doing well. Any suggestions?

My son is in 8th grade and his grades are very low he now has 3 F's and I don't know whether to retain him and keep him in the 8th grade again. He has to be the class clown and disrupts the class. He used to be in the principals office continuously for many years. This year he is doing better with the disrupting classmates, but he isn't doing well in his school work. He stays after school, but it seems the only things on his mind are girls and running with his friends. I have grounded him and taken privileges from him, but it doesn't help. He acts like he cares, but won't buckle down and get his work done. He will tell me he is finished with his school work, but then I find out he isn't. I just don't know what to do, his father isn't in his life very much at all and I feel that may have alot to do with it. He gets frustrated and angry when I try to help him or tell him he has to get his school work done. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
In Topics: Motivation and achievement at school, Teen issues, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Sorry to hear about your son's academic failure.  Sounds that he is disruptive in school, does not finish his work, is failing the 8th grade...  Does he get distracted easily?  Does he loose things?  Is he forgetful?  Are these behaviors new or have been going on for a while?

If your son's behaviors are new, schedule him for an evaluation by his health care provider.  Occasionally, metabolic disturbances, such as thyroid disease or diabetes, may cause behavioral problems in children.

If your son's behaviors have been going on for a while, also schedule him for an evaluation by his health care provider.  He may have attention deficit disorder that causes him to fail school.

1
0
Anonymous