Anonymous asks:

My 15 year old son had to leave a high school due to bullying, and he now wants to quit. Help!

My son is special ed. He always dreamed of going to Catholic school. Worked extremely hard for 3 years in public elem. Made Cath HS! GPA-3.2-Honor's student.Thrived. Bullied by many students in beginning Soph. year. Met w/admin.;who told him "sticks&stone"..My son transferred to another Cath.HS.Overwhelmed.Couldn't catch up.depressed;severely. Wouldn't go. Father signed him out. Do I have any legal recourse? Destroyed son's HS years. He wants to quit. HELP!!!
In Topics: Self esteem and identity, Bullying and teasing, Special education
> 60 days ago



Boys Town National Hotline
Apr 23, 2010
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

Thank you for reaching out to

We are sorry to hear about the challenges your son has faced in high school.  It’s unfortunate that the school was not more supportive and did not take a more pro active approach with regards to the bullying your son experienced.  More and more schools are implementing anti-bullying programs to use with students in all grade levels.

As far as a legal recourse you asked, we can not provide legal advice, but suggest you look at other educational options either through a private school or a public school system.  Your son is too young to quit school and there are special programs where he could take summer school for example, to catch up on his credits.  

You mentioned your son is severely depressed, which is not unusual for children who have been bullied.  Please have him evaluated by his pediatrician or your family doctor as a starting point.  Your doctor should be able to recommend counseling or other support groups for your son.  You also want to be sure that your son feels supported by you and his father, and that he understands the bullying he encountered was not his fault.  Over time, with support and love from you, along with professional help, your son will hopefully regain confidence and start to enjoy school again.  

If you feel you are not able to find help for your son, please give our toll-free Hotline a call.  We are here 24 hours, 7 days a week for parents and kids of all ages.  The counselor will help you identify a good plan for your son, and can give you referrals in your local area if you provide your city and state.  And, please give your son our number…he can also call and speak to an understanding and caring counselor.

Best wishes to you and your son.  Hope to hear from you soon!

Cynthia, Crisis Counselor
Boys Town National Hotline

Did you find this answer useful?

Additional Answers (2)

Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely