Anonymous
Q:

My 15 year old son had to leave a high school due to bullying, and he now wants to quit. Help!

My son is special ed. He always dreamed of going to Catholic school. Worked extremely hard for 3 years in public elem. Made Cath HS! GPA-3.2-Honor's student.Thrived. Bullied by many students in beginning Soph. year. Met w/admin.;who told him "sticks&stone"..My son transferred to another Cath.HS.Overwhelmed.Couldn't catch up.depressed;severely. Wouldn't go. Father signed him out. Do I have any legal recourse? Destroyed son's HS years. He wants to quit. HELP!!!
In Topics: Self esteem and identity, Bullying and teasing, Special education

|

Thank you for reaching out to education.com

We are sorry to hear about the challenges your son has faced in high school.  It’s unfortunate that the school was not more supportive and did not take a more pro active approach with regards to the bullying your son experienced.  More and more schools are implementing anti-bullying programs to use with students in all grade levels.

As far as a legal recourse you asked, we can not provide legal advice, but suggest you look at other educational options either through a private school or a public school system.  Your son is too young to quit school and there are special programs where he could take summer school for example, to catch up on his credits.  

You mentioned your son is severely depressed, which is not unusual for children who have been bullied.  Please have him evaluated by his pediatrician or your family doctor as a starting point.  Your doctor should be able to recommend counseling or other support groups for your son.  You also want to be sure that your son feels supported by you and his father, and that he understands the bullying he encountered was not his fault.  Over time, with support and love from you, along with professional help, your son will hopefully regain confidence and start to enjoy school again.  

If you feel you are not able to find help for your son, please give our toll-free Hotline a call.  We are here 24 hours, 7 days a week for parents and kids of all ages.  The counselor will help you identify a good plan for your son, and can give you referrals in your local area if you provide your city and state.  And, please give your son our number…he can also call and speak to an understanding and caring counselor.

Best wishes to you and your son.  Hope to hear from you soon!

Cynthia, Crisis Counselor
1-800-448-3000  

0
0

ansed
ansed writes:
Was his only stay in public ed. during the elementary years?

0
0
chazzon
chazzon writes:
I'm unsure what your definition of special Ed is. He seems like a very smart kid for holding a 3.2 GPA at honors level. I was in special education for a few years during middle school. It was for anger and not respecting authority. Bullies aim for a couple things, Kids who show the bullying effects them, an if they are a easy target. I won't say your son should fight back, However if it's verbal bullying teach him some smart comments to send back at the kids. Is using insults to battle insults ideal? No, However after he fights back verbally they will see hes not gonna be a easy target. If it's physical bullying that's another issue. I never had that issue so I can't give advice. If hes got low self confidence an it shows, Well he will always be a target in schools. Get him in a sport if possible, It might help him boost his self confidence. Also take him to the gym, let him work out a little bit. Outer appearance will help boost is self confidence.

0
0
Anonymous