aconcernedparent
aconcernedp... asks:
Q:

My 15 year old doesn't see a problem taking my car out while I am sleeping and driving. I'm not sure what discipline I can use to get through to her?

My 15 year old daughter took the car out last night with a few friends driving around to a get food. She doesn't have her license yet and just can't understand why I am upset! I am going to discipline her today but was wondering what the legal implications of her driving without a license WITH 2 friends in the car would be if she were caught by the police. I want her to understand the importance of following the rules BEFORE she actually has her license in 3 months. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. I am worried about what this behavior says about her mindset toward authority and rules in general.

|
Paulylb1
Paulylb1 writes:
Wow you are for a ride for sure!

Here is my advice to you take as you will.

The penalty for driving without a license as an underage minor will diff from state to state depending upon state laws that are in place. In many states not only you as an underage driver will be cited but the owner of the car that allowed you to operate it while unlicensed could also be ticketed and penalized.

Driving without a license is also a considered a serious offense in most states. The penalties again differ by state laws but can include things such as fines, jail time and vehicle impoundment.

These types of violations as a minor may allow your state's licensing department to delay your driver's license application from going through once you do apply. Also these offenses will likely go on your driving record. Even being a minor without a license does not stop your state from starting a driving history to record these offenses.

For example in Connecticut according to their laws (CSG 14-36h and PA 05-215) the penalties for operating a vehicle without a license, violating the driving requirements for 16 and 17 year olds, driving when under 16 or violating other licensing provisions vary depending upon if it is your first offense or not.

Even if you are a teenager with a learner's permit you can get cited for driving without a license if you operate a vehicle against your restrictions. For example Delaware law states that persons who violate the Level One Learner's Permit restrictions are considered as driving without a license which will result in a 2-month suspension for the first offense and a 4-month suspension for subsequent offenses.

As a mom myself of a teenager, my suggestion is that you keep your key's somewhere where she can't find them when you go to sleep.  Explain to her the importance of following rules and that there are consequences for her disobedience. Even if she does not get caught I would give her the consequence that if she pulls something like that again that you will not allow her to get her licence until she is 16 1/2 or until she can prove she can handle the responsibility of Driving. Remember that you are the parent and that Driving is a privilege not a right.

Good Luck!

2
0
New-Mahogany
New-Mahogany writes:
well I would say" you're not sixteen yet and if you take my car out after hours again i would punish her for ? weeks with not 1 electronic until she gets it!

0
0
missgigimeowcat
missgigimeo... , Teacher, Parent writes:
The legal implications are: Stealing a Car = Jail Time! + No License   Driving Without a License = Jail Time!  + No License!  Accident with Passengers = Injury! or Death! or Jail Time! and No License!

All of these options can include time away from friends, loss of personal electronics (phones, iPads, etc. during Jail Time), loss of personal freedoms and routines.

Personally, I'd lock up the keys to the car in a safe each night. DO NOT share the code to the lock with your daughter. And, as consequences for such an unsafe stunt there would be NO LICENSE in the near future until the girl until has developed and demonstrated huge amounts of personal responsibility and maturity.

I'd also make sure that she had a little tour of the local police office and jail, if possible, with an officer who could inform her of all of the consequences of her actions.  Let her see exactly what she'd have to do if she had been caught, had an accident, or killed a friend in an accident.

That may sound harsh, but a little "scared straight" never hurt a teen who didn't think through the consequences of their actions in such a dangerous situation!

1
0
rmknig
rmknig writes:
I don't know the legal implications for you or your daughter but I would be inclined to remove any access to the keys until such time as she understands the consequences of her actions.

0
0
CuddleyWill
CuddleyWill writes:
just hide your car keys!

0
0
Undeadteen13
Undeadteen13 writes:
Well first ground her for 2 weeks from everything except breathing sleeping eating and reading for taking your car without asking. Next step put your keys in a distinct way or pattern to no if she's touched them and keep an eye on the milage and if she takes the car agin ground her for a month with same conditions and tell her she can't get her license tell she's 18 and if you get desperate or just don't wanna deal with it as long as she's not real smart wen it comes to working on cars just disconnect the battery cable. Ps I know this sounds severe but it will work and you can get in a LOT of trouble VERRY EXPENSIVE trouble

0
0