undecided_teen
undecided_t... asks:
Q:

I'm 15 years old, & I think I want to major in something dealing with behavior problematic kids. What are some careers that fall into this category??

In Topics: Jobs/Careers, Special education, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Dear Undecided,

I think that it is wonderful that you are considering a career that specializes in helping kids with behavior problems. As you know, this population needs a lot of support and there is a lot that professionals can do to help kids in these situations get on the right track and lead a fulfilling life. Some majors and careers to consider:

Psychology: The field of psychology has a lot of growth potential and many individuals who interested in helping kids will major in psychology (as I did). One catch, though, is that if you pursue this path, you would likely want a graduate degree (a Masters in Clinical or Counseling Psychology, Marriage and Family Therapy or a Doctorate in Clinical or Counseling Psychology) to have the most opportunities professionally. Individuals with only a BA in Psychology do not have the flexibility to conduct therapy without an advanced degree and/or supervision.

Social Work: Whereas psychology is generally concerned more with the brain and behavior of individuals, social work considers the systems surrounding an individual that influence their opportunities. Thus, social workers typically consult with kids to help them find services in the community (e.g., tutoring, physicals, etc). In this case, an advanced degree is also quite desirable because an individual with a Masters in Social Work or a Licensed Clinical Social Worker has more flexibility.

Sociology: Sociology is focused with society and the various ways in which society affects individuals, race, class, etc.

I have included a couple of links below, as well, to get you thinking about careers in psychology.

Laura Kauffman, Ph.D.
Licensed Psychologist
Education.com JustAsk Expert
3
0

Anonymous