concernedmum
concernedmum asks:
Q:

My 15 yr old daughter is refusing to go to work experience or back to school.

My daughter is 15 and should be doing 2 weeks work experience at a place of her choice. She went for 2 days, thought the work was too hard and refused to go back. Her Year head said she needs to go in to school if she is not going to do the work experience.
Again she is refusing to go.
She is an A grade student and has never been in trouble at school. Lately she has become firmly attached to another girl who i feel is encouraging her to do wrong.
If i try to stop her seeing her friend i will only make her want to spend more time with her. This friend is also encouraging my daughter to lie, swear, be abusive and leave her loving caring home. What do i do???? Any ideas?

|

With a teenager, forcing her to do something may cause her to rebel even more. You may win the battle and lose the war. Let your daughter know you love her, are concerned, and want the best for her. See if she will be willing to talk to someone she trusts (counselor, minister, teacher, relative).

There are several issues you introduce: not want to complete her work experience, not going to school, negative peer influence, lying, swearing, being abusive, and leaving home. All of these issues need immediate attention. I recommend you seek counseling in the community and see if there are underlying problems that need to be addressed. Communication with your daughter is very important. Listen to her needs and let her know your concerns. A counselor will help with improving communication.

1
0