thring
thring asks:
Q:

Can a 15 year old be asked to provide a written statement without a parent present for disciplinary reasons?

my daughter 15 was on a school service bus and she did something wrong her teacher a key stage 4 advisor made her write out a statement with out telling her what would be done with the statement or what it could be used for she was excluded from school for a day and a nasty untrue letter sent in the post ccusing her of being dangerous to other school children. At no time was she offered any advice or help and she now has a record after 4.5 years of unblemished record.
In Topics: My Relationship with my child's school, School safety (not bullying), Discipline and behavior challenges

|

AnnieFox

A school can certainly discipline a student without a parent being present... I can't give you legal advice, but as far as taking a written, it really depends on how the was taken, how it was used, etc. As the parent, you should definitely go to the school and find out what their policy is in this kind of situation. As for the "untrue letter" that was subsequently sent and the current blemish on her record talk to them about that too. If you aren't satisfied with their response, speak to an attorney.

0
0

jelleyhead
jelleyhead writes:
legally, the teacher may ask for a simple statement. she may not force the student(you son/daughter) to write something without either you or a lawyer in presence.

0
0
mum2009
mum2009 writes:
No she has to have a parent or guardian present if she has to write a statement she is only 15 and a minor. Make a complaint to the school about the situation and try to resolve it that way.

0
0
Peachbottom
Peachbottom writes:
never hold your child up in the wrong because the truth can always come back and kick you in the butt. I think that if this happened she deserved it because she can easily lie to you and tell you different because if she didn't deserve it she wouldn't have gotten it.

1
0
Sarpax
Sarpax writes:
No, maybe you should talk to the school board about this and see if they can do something about her record.

0
0
Shibby41
Shibby41 writes:
By Law the Teachers nor School Staff or Administration can make your child write out or sign a statement.
At 15 years old the can not enter into a legal binding contract.
I have experienced this issue with my own child and I instructed him to politely & respectfully tell the school that his parents will not allow him to write or sign a statement without our permission or presence and that they need to contact us. Which they did and I told them that I would have hi prepare a statement that night & I would read it and have him & I sign it and email it to them in the morning.
The schools dont like it but legally there is absolutely nothing that they can do about it.

0
0
Anonymous