byrdie
byrdie asks:
Q:

My 16 year old  has adhd/odd and is taking Vyvanse and Remeron. Now at an alternative school, he stays very depressed and misses a lot of school. What can we do?

My 16 year old grandson has been diagnosed with adhd/odd.He is taking the drug Vyvanse and remeron. He has be sent to an alternative school. Now he stays depressed. When I can get him to go to school he sits with his head down and wont do any work. The principal has lost tolerance for him. The school doesnt believe he has a problem.He's been so depressed that he has missed a lot of days. He has lost his appetite and is withdrawn. He doesnt want to talk either. Is there help with the excessive absences that he has. He does have doctor excused absences. What can we do with school and our grandson. We dont want him to get sick from his depression. Nor do we want him to get in trouble for the numerous absences.
In Topics: ADHD & attention issues, Depression

|

If you are the custodial parent, I would schedule a meeting with his pediatrician to discuss the medication and his present state. If you are not custodial, ask your son or daughter if you can accompany them to the visit to give some family perspective.  If there is a psychiatrist as part of the team try to touch base with all that care for your grandson and express your concern.  Finally, meet with the principal to discuss your pro-active approach and work with them regarding the absences.

0
0

Anonymous