yecieboo
yecieboo asks:
Q:

Do you think a 16 year old should be allowed to have a boyfriend and go out to places with him?

i am 16 and my parents think i should not have a boyfriend because i need to learn how to cook and clean first. also they think that the only reason why girls have a boyfriend so they can have sex but i am not thinking bout having sex at all. i no how to clean and am still learning how to cook. my grades are fine, am always trying harder in school i think i should be allowed to have a boyfriend but i need you guys opinion.
In Topics: Teen sexuality and dating

|

Every family has their own concept of what dating really means to them. You and your family have different opinions. Start by saying to them what you did here. I want a male friend--not for sex--but to enjoy company. Keep up your end by getting good grades and helping at home.  Invite the boy home with your family's permission so they can see/meet him.  Finally, talk to an aunt, grandmother or trusted relative who may have some insight as to why you parents feel this way.
this is a process which means each end has to feel comfortable with the outcome. And, yes, 16 y/olds  do date.

1
0

In my opinion a responsible 16 year old should be allowed to date and go places with friends, it is part of your social development.  Your parents need to meet your friends that you will be with and certainly the boys you intend to date.  You should keep your parents informed as to where you'll be and where you're going and a curfew should be set so they'll know when you should be home.  Don't argue with your parents over the matter, this shows immaturity and they may think you're not ready.  Mothers are generally more understanding in these areas, talk with your mother in a mature manner, possibly you could start dating by just having your friend come to your house for dinner or to hang out and watch a movie together to give them the opportunity to know him.  I believe that you can reach a reasonable compromise.  Also, any boy that is not willing to come to your house and meet your family, is not a boy that you want to go out with.  Respect your parents wishes, continue your efforts in becoming a responsible young woman and don't get in too big of a hurry, you're young and have plenty of time for social freedom.  Best wishes!

I've posted a site below that will give you tips on how to speak with your parents on this sensitive matter.  Remember they love you and only want whats best for you and your safety, respect that.  Boys will come and go, but your parents have and will love and cherish you forever.

2
0
Mrs.Tee
Mrs.Tee , Student writes:
i think its only fair to allow your daughter to go out with her boyfriend because she is a young adult and because im 3 years older than her take it from experience that if she asked you and didnt get the permission.....she obviously trust you to know that she is interested in  dating and as most teens do when they are denied from doing something...... they begin to sneak off and hold secrects that they now refuse to tell you cause they think the answer may be "NO!!" And to avoid that just allow her and see the outcome ,and every parent knows whether they raised there child RIGHT so trust her and she may suprise you.

1
0
jessie205
jessie205 writes:
I have a daughter and she has begged us to let her date since she turned 15 but we told her that she couldn't go out on a date until we thought the time was right, although she did start dating at 16 she had a time limit to where she had to be home by 9p.m. on school night and by 12p.m. on weekends and if she wasn't there and we had to come find her she wouldn't go out for a while. I do understand where your parents are coming from because I was raised back in the day where you didn't date until you was out of school but now days kids are dating and going out before age of 15 so I guess it all depends on how your parents see fit for you. Oh and one more thing girls and boys are going out at earlier ages now compared to years ago when I was growing up but sometimes the parents have to no that they have trust in you and the one your going to be with, maybe you can start by asking if he can come over for dinner or to watch a movie with you and the parents and go from there see what happens, never no

0
0
Oathkeeper360
Oathkeeper360 writes:
I recommend that you wait until they let you date. I'm sixteen and lasted in a four month secret relationship. They found out. And let's just say the outcome was disastrous. Secret relationships are not ideal. They made me move towns.
It's hard to convince parents to let you date, but it's the best way. Good luck :)

0
0
breezygal
breezygal writes:
i don't think having a boyfriend at 16 yrs old has anything to do with u knowing how to cook or clean but i think you are mature enough to have a boyfriend

0
0
mrs.prodigy143
mrs.prodigy... writes:
yes it depends on if they are mature enough

1
0