bward
bward asks:
Q:

My 16 year old daughter was caught shoplifting. What can we do?

What can we do to show her remorse to the courts and to the business she stole from?

Should we go and apologise to the business? My wife works at the retail store, it is a national chain (Huge Store)
In Topics: Teen issues, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

MTrejo

My recommendations would be as follows.
First, go see the head business manager, pay for the merchandize, apologize AND ask how you can make it up.  Or you and your daughter can suggest that you would be willing to donate time or money to the charity of choice of the company. This could be equal or double the value of what was stolen.  You can also suggest that your daughter is willing to write a "research paper on the causes, problems, and consequences of teenage shoplifting".  The paper can be published in the store's newsletter, ads, or in the school's newsletters.
If any of these ideas work, then take them to the high school counselor and security officers, if your school has one.  See if they would help recommend that the charges be dropped either by the store or by the court, if it is gone that far.
Please keep in mind that whatever you decide to do, it better be sincere.  It is important that the store keeper and the school staff know that this is the first incident, that it will not happen again, and that it comes from your daughter and not just you.

1
0

Hi, I'm very sorry to hear that this has happened with your daughter.

Here are some articles on Education.com that offer relevant insights (as well as links to organizations that may be able to answer your specific questions)...

When Your Teen is Caught Shoplifting
http://www.education.com/magazine/article/When_Your_Teen_Caught/

Why Kids Shoplift
http://www.education.com/magazine/article/Why_Kids_Shoplift/

You might also consider contacting Boys Town National Hotline, which specializes in teen issues (boys and girls):

http://www.education.com/answers/profile/Boys+Town+National+Hotline/

0
0
shopgirl11
shopgirl11 writes:
I am sorry to hear that your daugher is doing that. I think your daughter may be best to do some type of community service. This may show that she actually wants to give back. I think she should apologize to the store and make sure she pays the back for the items that she stole. You could also ask the store if there is anything that she could do such as cleaning and what not. If they think they can trust her.

If all else fails I have seen where kids are taken to jails and even juvenile detention centers. This is almost a scared straight program. If your daughter is educated on what could happen in the future maybe she will not be so likely to steal next time.

I hope things work out for the best! Good luck!

0
0
angel1992
angel1992 writes:
you can took things away from her for like two weeks and tell her not to do it again

1
0