teofila
teofila asks:
Q:

16 year-old boy doesn't know how to read and write, how can I help?

I would like to sponsor a 16 year-old boy from The Caribbean into The U.S. (He doesn't know how to read or write). The goal is to help him become literate, I am looking for places that will be able to help him at his age, starting from square one. He was in school for a few years but was diagnosed with ADHD, was very difficult for him to learn and eventually stopped attending school. Any suggestions?
In Topics: Helping my child with reading, ADHD & attention issues

|

First of all I applaud you for sponsoring this 16 year-old boy.  I hope this boy takes advantage of this wonderful opportunity.

As for getting him help...  First you need to get him formally diagnosed to determine exactly what his problems are and exactly what he knows so you can figure out where to begin.  You might be able get a local learning center to donate this service to you if you explain your situation.  For example, this boy might know his letters and letter sounds, but isn't able to read sight words.  Or he might know some words and can sound out others.  Or he might not be able to read a story, but he might be able to listen and comprehend the story.

Next I would see if you can enroll him into an adult reading program.  Check with your local school board.  They probably have some course.  Another place to check is the Boys and Girls Club because they have tutoring groups.

If the boy is up for it, read to and with him every day.  There is a great book called The Reading Promise that is about a girl whose father readers to her every night up until the day she goes to college.

Get him a library card.  Have him select books he finds interesting and they might even be from the children's section.  

Keep us posted on this boys progress.  He is one lucky kid!

Barb K
www.LessonPop.com

0
0

2rfireproof
2rfireproof writes:
Check with your local library for free literacy tutors.

0
0